February 26, 2019
Are you looking for a way to restore or enhance your smile? If so, then you should consider porcelain veneers in Boonville. They’re an effective way to treat cosmetic dentistry issues such as chipped, stained, uneven, or widely gapped teeth. Veneers can last 10 years or even longer with reasonable care.
More Thorough Than Whitening, More Conservative Than Crowns
Think of porcelain veneers as a middle-of-the-road approach that does a more thorough job than whitening yet requires less extensive treatment than crowns, bridges, or implants. Here’s how they work:
- The process begins by meeting with your dentist in Boonville. He or she will perform a thorough oral exam and discuss your cosmetic dentistry goals with you at that time.
- If your teeth are in overall good shape but could use a little aesthetic work, then your dentist may recommend veneers. If you agree, then he or she will apply a gentle etching solution to the front of your teeth to ensure a good bond with the completed restoration.
- Your dentist will also complete a series of measurements and take digital images of your mouth, gums, and teeth. The dental lab that crafts the veneers will use this information to ensure a precise match with your oral profile.
- The process of creating the restoration will take a few days. Once they arrive, you’ll return to your dentist’s office to have them placed. Your dentist may alter the veneers slightly to ensure the best possible match.
- Once everything looks perfect, your dentist will apply a special light-activated bonding agent to complete the process. Once this is done, you’ll be able to show off your enhanced smile to the world.
Caring for Your New Veneers
Veneers do require a little basic care. Important steps to follow include:
- Brushing 2-3 times a day using a soft bristle toothbrush. Your dentist will probably recommend a non-abrasive brand of toothpaste to avoid scratching the restoration. You should also floss at least once a day.
- Minimizing consumption of strongly colored and acidic beverages. Examples include red wine, tea, coffee, tomato juice, and many types of soft drinks. The best beverage for your body is plain water.
- Staying away from all forms of tobacco and vaping products. Vaping is still a relatively new habit, but the information we have about it to date is far from good. All forms of nicotine contain carcinogens that can have devastating effects, not only on your new veneers but on every organ in your body.
- Eating a healthy, well-rounded diet. Protein, calcium, vitamins, fiber, and healthy unsaturated fats are essential for enjoying healthy teeth and overall well-being.
- Seeing your dentist as recommended for cleanings and oral exams. Even though veneers themselves are impervious to cavities, your natural teeth still require regular care.
Dental veneers are a great option for enjoying a more beautiful smile and a happier life. Talk to your dentist about them during your next appointment. Whatever cosmetic treatment you ultimately choose, we wish you all the best throughout 2019 and beyond.
About the Author
Dr. Joseph Kelly is an honors graduate of the University of Iowa College of Dentistry and the owner of Great Impression Dental, a thriving practice in Boonville, Missouri. You can reach his office online or by calling (660) 882-7522.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.